Wednesday 5 November 2014

Sachin Tendulkar: “Playing all the Way” in his interview 

Playing all the way: Sachin Tendulkar is maintaining his fame and repertoire after his retirement also. The sports icon spoke to some reporters on the day of the launch of his autobiography.
1.What’s the motivation behind the book?
I just wanted to share my life with everyone. It is impossible to share each and everything that has happened in my life but what matters is making sincere efforts in sharing my thoughts.
2. Toughest part of writing the book?
It was the relationship between Anjali and me. I have always kept that close to my heart and very few relatives know about it including my family and her family.

3. Controversies in the book?
All I have said is the truth. The book has everything. There are some funny incidents, which get the controversial name.

4. Why did you never take a stand on major issues?
I have taken a stand on issues about which I was 100 per cent sure. I never spoke about things, I don’t know.

5. Are you disappointed with how things turned out under Greg Chappell?
I couldn't cover the first two tours I missed and there was controversy in Sri Lanka and in Zimbabwe. I wasn’t there on both those tours. Driving back from Mohali after playing the Challenger Trophy, my friends expressed inconvenience towards Greg Chappell, but I told of giving him a chance. But at the end, I was wrong. I was also ignorant of his behaviour when asked about the meet. His lye didn’t surprise me, as my wife Anjali is with me.

6. Ddidn't you tell Dravid that Chappell wanted you to take over captaincy from him?
No. As far as I was concerned the matter was over right there because I didn’t accept captaincy.

7. How tough was it writing about your team mates?
I don’t think there should be any problem because I am not hurting anyone. Whatever I have stated in my book I have been transparent with my team mates so I don’t think there was any animosity in the team.

8. On Ian Chappell’s comments?
I don’t think much about him. I showed him the size of the mirror in the VB Series in 2007, so I don’t need to go out and prove to anyone.

9. What’s your opinion on the Mike Denness controversy?
I remember when we met after the game, somebody told me that they had asked 7-8 guys including myself to come. I was shocked to learn that it was about ball tampering. I didn’t know how to respond to the enquiry because I didn’t remember anything like that had happened. I also asked the umpires if they had found any change in the condition of the ball and the umpires said "no nothing at all" and they had not lodged any complaint to the match referee. I went to the match referee and told him that I was just cleaning the seam. He told me I should have told the umpires. I learned a lesson from that incident and from then on I would always tell the umpires when I was about to clean the ball.

10.On the Barbados Test loss?
It hurts. I remember having sleepless nights.

11. Why did you quit captaincy?
It started affecting me as a person, putting pressure over every defeat. When I was back with my family I couldn’t switch off as I would be constantly thinking about it. Then I felt cricket wouldn’t be taken away from me if I played under some other captain. If I was a captain, I could never add justice to my work, because I didn’t believe in scolding my teammates. I never have that quality. Hence I chose to be under another captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment